You are here: Home / Apply for Aid

Applying for aid

The University of New Hampshire only requires the FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, in order to apply for financial aid.  We DO NOT require the Profile.

For graduate students, the Financial Aid Office is responsible only for loans and the Federal Work-Study Program. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Questions concerning other types of graduate financial aid should be addressed to the Graduate School (862-3000).

In completing the FAFSA, you must indicate the UNH Federal School Code (also called the Title IV Code): 002589

The FAFSA does NOT contain space for you to indicate any special or unusual circumstances that you feel may affect your or your family's ability to contribute to your educational costs. Therefore, you may submit such information in writing directly to the UNH Financial Aid Office, or contact our office to request a Special Circumstances Form 2015-2016. In order to be correctly matched with your application, any correspondence must contain the applicant's full name, address, date of birth, and UNH student ID number.

Free NASFAA Tip Sheets Help Students with Unique Circumstances Complete The FAFSA


The 2015-2016 Financial Aid Application Deadline for aid awarded by UNH is March 1, 2015. This is the date by which your fully completed FAFSA/Renewal Application must be received by the Federal processor.  A complete list of notifications of the deadline is available here. 2015/2016 Distribution of Financial Aid deadline

The importance of meeting this deadline cannot be overstated. While there are some types of aid (e.g., Pell Grants and Direct Loans) for which you may apply after this deadline, it is likely that you will receive substantially less total aid if your application is late. For the past several years, applicants applying after the deadline did not receive any aid awarded by UNH.

It is the University's position that the student applicant is accountable for the accurate and timely submission of the FAFSA Application. We make the application deadline known and available to all students in many different ways and through a variety of communication methods.

In order to be reviewed for Federal Financial Aid, UNH must have your correct, complete FAFSA by your last day of enrollment for the academic year.

NOTE: There is a reference on the FAFSA to "State Aid Deadlines." Do not be misled by these dates! These dates are when the FAFSA must be filed to be considered for aid from your home state. It is NOT the financial aid application deadline at UNH or most other colleges.


When your FAFSA is received by the federal processor, the "date of receipt" is recorded in the federal system. It is this date that will normally determine whether your application is considered as on-time or late.

File your FAFSA on-line, print a copy of each page as you complete it and print the confirmation page you receive after the completed application is submitted. Keep these copies in your financial aid folder. In this way, if there is a problem with the electronic submission, you have proof of on-time filing.

Please understand the risk you are taking with UNH and other colleges if you submit your FAFSA and do not retain proof of filing as described above. In such a situation, the "date of receipt" recorded by the federal processor will be the only determining factor as to whether your application is considered on-time.


When will my aid be done?

Students need to be admitted to the University and have a complete financial aid application prior to our office reviewing their eligibility.  Students who are anticipating a fall begin date; we begin our review process of financial aid applications in early March.  If you are applying to UNH for the spring term, we begin to review spring admits in November.

We haven’t received anything from the Financial Aid Office? 

The Financial Aid Office does not send out paper notifications.  Emails are sent to students when we need additional materials to complete an application AND when the financial aid eligibility has been determined.  The student can access what is missing or view the aid package by logging into Blackboard. This is not information that is accessed through the Parent Portal.

Why do you need my tax information; I put that information on the FAFSA?

Some students are selected for a process called Verification; generally this is a random sampling of applicants by the Federal Processor.  We are required to obtain ‘official’ IRS tax information and we also require a Verification Worksheet (located in the Forms section) which you can print and send to us.

I do not want all of my loan funds, how do I decline a loan? 

You can decline or reduce a loan by letting the Financial Aid Office know.  You can call our office at (603) 862-3600, email or complete a Loan Adjustment Form. Please be aware, if your loan has already been credited to your tuition account, cancelling the loan may result in a balance due. 

When will my pending aid pay to my bill? 

Federal aid and loans will not pay to your account until 10 days before classes begin each semester.  The aid will show as a pending credit on your bill and will be reflected as a credit in your Net Balance Due.  You will not be charged a late fee if the bill is covered by a pending item.

I am going to be living off-campus next year; will financial aid cover my rent?

There are no specific funds available for housing, on or off campus.  If you have a credit on your student account (money left over after the bill is paid) you can request that amount be refunded to you through direct deposit to help you with your off-campus expenses.  If you do not have a credit, you may be able to borrow additional funds through an Alternative Private Education Loan or the PLUS.  For more information on these loans, please see Financing Options.


UNH Title IV Code: 002589
Financial Aid Deadline: March 1