You are here: Home / Financial Aid Resources

Financial Aid Resources


Other Resources

The following links and descriptions are intended to provide potential and current UNH students and families with information on sources of financial aid. The UNH Financial Aid Office provides this information purely as an informational service. A listing does not necessarily constitute an endorsement of an organization, service, or product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- from the U.S. Department of Education


Alumni Scholarship

The UNH Alumni Association is proud to introduce and invites applications to our legacy scholarships. These merit-based scholarships support students who have a parent, grandparent or great parent who is/was a UNH alumni. The scholarship recognizes those students who have leadership skills, an outstanding academic record and broad extracurricular interests. To apply, click here. For questions or more information contact the Alumni Association at 862-2040.




Lord Scholarship

These need-based scholarships are for residents of Carroll County.  Lord Scholarship Applications must be completed and submitted to the Financial Aid Office by March 1st.


UNH Parents Association Endowed Scholarship

These scholarships are based on financial need, evidenced by student’s FAFSA submission and EFC score as well as based on a student’s working to make financial contributions to their education and/or a commitment to community service. GPA requirement is 2.8. In addition to submitting the scholarship paperwork to the UNH Parents Office, the 2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be received by the federal processor by March 1. For more information and an application, go to and click on scholarships. Since 2001, the Parents Association has continually awarded substantial scholarships; 77 students to date have been awarded Parents Association Endowed Scholarships.  Typical awards are about $3,000 for each student.


Grant and Scholarship Aid Through Colleges and Departments

For information about grants, scholarships, and fellowships not based solely on financial need, continuing students may contact their academic department and college. Generally, this aid is contingent upon merit (academic performance) or a combination of merit and other factors such as academic field of study, leadership ability, residence, and/or financial need.

• The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS), Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics, and College of Life Sciences and Agriculture (COLSA) use a single scholarship application for all majors available through their Deans'/Advising Offices. These applications are typically available early spring semester.

• The College of Liberal Arts (LA) and The School of Health and Human Services (HHS) have no central scholarship application process. In LA and HHS it is especially important to work with your faculty advisor, department chairperson, and Dean's Office to determine what assistance may be available for students in major and college.

The UNH Honors Program makes available merit scholarships for students enrolled in that program.

Regardless of your school/college, speak with your college advisor, department chairperson, and/or Dean's Office to find out what assistance may be available through your department/college. These are the people who best know you and the resources for your major and college. Moreover, it's critical to get to know the faculty in your department, for they may serve as future references for you and/or sponsors of your undergraduate research. Ask your advisor and department faculty members about professional organizations and scholarly societies that may provide scholarship or grant assistance related to your major.


The UNH Fellowships Office (Hood House) provides information, advising and application support for high-achieving, undergraduate and graduate students seeking to apply for national and international scholarship and fellowship awards.


The NH Higher Education Assistance Foundation (NHHEAF) provides individual guidance throughout the financial aid process, outreach to New Hampshire high schools, businesses and community organizations with speakers, information and reference materials, extensive career exploration information, and access to over 2,500 national public and private scholarship sources with a personal profile.


The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid (FinAid)
was established in the fall of 1994 as a public service and has grown into a comprehensive annotated collection of information about student financial aid on the web. Access to FinAid is free for all users. It's a comprehensive stop on the Web for students looking for ways to finance their education.


Free Credit Reports

As mandated by the federal government in 2003, consumers are eligible to receive one free credit report a year from each of the “Big Three” credit bureaus: Experian, TransUnion and Equifax (EFX). The only place these free credits reports are available is at Don’t be misled by other sites that may offer a free credit report. They often do so only if you sign up for another service, such as credit monitoring, that you must pay for.


Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities

On this page, you'll find information about scholarships and fellowships for students with disabilities. Be sure to browse the rest of the site also, since some of the more general listings and scholarship databases may contain information relevant to students with disabilities.



More than 100 scholarships nationally have been established to support LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning +) students.

The Point Foundation, The National LGBT Scholarship Fund, Financial Aid for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Students
Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice

Many funding sources are earmarked for applicants who have had their families withdraw financial support after they came out or were outed. If you are a student facing these circumstances, please speak with a UNH Financial Aid counselor.


The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation provides grants, interest-free, and low-interest loans for New Hampshire residents pursuing undergraduate or graduate study at approved institutions of postsecondary education. Contact them for information and applications at:
37 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301 ~ (603) 225-6641 or (800) 464-6641


"Scholarship Scams" an alert provided by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).


The following is a list of free scholarship search websites:
Scholarship Search from the College Board
College Answer
Scholarship Experts


Scholarship applications from organizations outside of the University


The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) supports financial aid professionals at institutions of higher education. NASFAA has a primary focus on student aid legislation, regulatory analysis, and professional development for financial aid administrators. NASFAA also works closely with various institutions to share knowledge that will improve financial aid administration. While this web site is primarily for the professional who administers financial aid, there is plenty of good information for students and parents.


The Americorps Program may involve tutoring kids, building homes, clearing trails and streams, mobilizing resources to create a local health clinic, or doing any of the hundreds of other goal-oriented AmeriCorps projects.

AmeriCorps members are eligible for some significant educational benefits. AmeriCorps members who complete their service are eligible for an education award of $4,725 (for full-time members; part-time members are eligible for a portion of that amount). They may also be eligible for forbearance on student loans. Your loan lender can tell you for sure. AmeriCorps will pay for the interest that is accrued on qualified student loans for members who complete their service.


Both the Army and Air Force offer three- and two-year scholarships to qualified students enrolled in a baccalaureate program. Four year scholarships are available to selected high school seniors nationally for use at an appropriate college of their choice. For more information students should contact their high school guidance counselor or visit the Army ROTC web site or the Air Force ROTC web site.