You are here: Home / News / Conditions of Award

Conditions of Award

Financial Aid Policies

Conditions of Award


The granting of any federal aid (Pell, SEOG, Perkins & Direct Loans, Work-Study) is contingent upon:

a. The authorization and appropriation of funds for each program by the federal government;

b. The receipt by UNH of anticipated funding levels in each program;

c. Any changes in federal regulations that affect your eligibility status;

d. Final approval of the University budget at projected funding levels.

You will be notified only if it is necessary to revise your aid as explained above.

Your financial aid award is based on information you and your family submitted on the application materials. It is your responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office of any change in your or your family's circumstances. This includes the receipt of any additional financial aid or other resources not indicated on your award letter. If such a change does take place, we reserve the privilege of reviewing and possibly revising your aid.

Use of Aid

Unless you have received a specific, written statement to the contrary, this financial aid may only be used if you are enrolled in a degree program at the University of New Hampshire Durham or Manchester campus.

Academic Credit Requirement

Unless noted otherwise on your award letter, your award is based upon full-time enrollment for both semesters of the academic year (12 credits per semester for an undergraduate student and 9 credits per semester for a graduate student). If you are enrolled less than full-time, your aid will be adjusted accordingly (including possible cancellation). It is your responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office of any change in enrollment status.

Graduate Students

If you will be receiving a tuition scholarship, assistantship or any other aid from your department or the Graduate School, you should inform the Financial Aid Office in writing immediately. An adjustment in your loan or work-study may be necessary.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students receiving federal aid must meet satisfactory academic progress standards in order to be eligible to receive aid through those programs. The current standards for satisfactory academic progress are available on our website ( or upon request from the Financial Aid Office.

Return of Funds

Students receiving federal aid should be aware that U.S. Department of Education regulations govern the refund and repayment of aid when a student withdraws before completion of the semester for which aid has been received.

Duration and Renewal of Aid

Recipients are required to reapply each year since most aid is awarded for one year only. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required each year and must be filed by March 1 for the following academic year.

Financial Aid Policies