You are here: Home / News / Summer Financial Aid Information

Summer Financial Aid Information

Summer Financial Aid Information



What type of financial aid is available for the summer session?  The UNH Financial Aid Office awards summer work-study, Pell Grant and Direct Loan Funds.  Students can also borrow an alternative loan and parents and graduate students, a PLUS Loan.


I am a non-degree student; can I receive financial aid from UNH? You are not eligible to receive Federal aid from UNH (Pell, Direct Loan or Work Study).  You can, however, apply for an Alternative Loan.  The Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan  lend to less than half time and non-degree students. Apply directly on-line with the lender and submit the Summer Loan Application (found on Blackboard in mid-March, in WEBCAT click on Financial Aid tab, complete and submit).


Do I need to file an application for summer financial aid?  Yes, you must file a 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If you are interested in the summer work-study program, your FAFSA needs to be considered ‘on-time’, meaning the FAFSA needs to be received by the Federal Processor by March 1, 2015.  In addition to the FAFSA, you will need to fill out a Summer Loan Application (for Pell Grant and loan borrowers) and/or a Summer Work-Study Application; both forms can be found on Blackboard in mid-March (in WEBCAT click on Financial Aid tab, complete and submit).


Do I need to be enrolled in coursework during the summer in order to qualify for summer aid?  You must be a degree candidate to be considered for the Pell Grant, Direct Loan and Work Study and at least half-time to receive a Pell Grant, Direct Loan or a PLUS (6 credits for undergraduates, 5 credits for graduate students).  An alternative loan may be available for those who will be enrolled less than half-time.  You do not need to be enrolled in coursework to be considered for the summer work-study program, however, you do need to be enrolled at least half-time during the 2015-2016 academic year. 


I will need financial aid in order to pay for my summer class, what is the procedure?  Once you have decided what classes you want to take you can:

1) Fill out the Summer Loan Application.  If you are going to be at least half-time you can borrow from your Direct Loan eligibility (generally 1/3 of your yearly maximum).  PLEASE NOTE:  if you choose to use a portion of your Direct Loan in the summer, it will reduce the amount that disburses for the fall and spring semesters.  If you are not going to be attending half-time or you need more than your Direct Loan allows, you can borrow from an alternative loan. Alternative Loan Information  You will still need to complete the Summer Loan Application if applying for an Alternative Loan.


2) Check your WEBCAT account to make sure there aren’t any outstanding requirements needed to process your 2015-2016 financial aid (summer is considered part of the next academic year). Check Aid Status


3) Once we notify you (via e-mail) regarding your summer loan/grant eligibility, you are able to register online using your award towards the cost of your classes.  If your summer bill is more than your summer loan/summer Pell, you are responsible for the difference at the time of registration.