You are here: Home / Types of Aid

Types of Aid



The following two grants are supported by funds that the federal government allocates each year to UNH. Our office administers these funds and makes awards according to federal regulations. It is likely that different amounts will be available each year, and it is possible that programs may be dropped, curtailed, or expanded periodically. For additional information on Federal Grants, see The Student Guide

FEDERAL PELL GRANTS are designed to assist students demonstrating exceptional financial need in the continuation of their training and education after high school. They provide eligible students with "a foundation of financial aid to help defray the costs of college attendance." During the 2014-2015 academic year, grants ranged from $602 to $5,730 for full-time students. Students apply for a 2015-2016 Pell Grant by completing a FAFSA after January 1, 2015. This award does not have to be paid back.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANT (SEOG) funds are available to undergraduates demonstrating exceptional financial need. An SEOG is federal money that UNH allocates to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional need and file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the financial aid deadline (March 1).  SEOG does not have to be paid back.

Tuition Grants are UNH based grant money for needy undergraduate students who file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid by the financial aid deadline (March 1). This award does not have to be paid back.

Established to aid diversity at UNH, awards are granted to incoming freshmen in an amount not to exceed tuition. Students must file a FAFSA in order to be reviewed for this award.


Athletics scholarships are available to male and female student-athletes who are (or will be) participants on an intercollegiate team. Recipients are chosen by the head coach of each sport and the coach determines the amount of the award, in consultation with the Director of Athletics. Students interested in these scholarships are required to be a member of a specific intercollegiate team and should contact the head coach of that sport.

It is the policy of the University of New Hampshire that men and women will have equal access to funds for athletic scholarships to participate in intercollegiate programs. Criteria and procedures for awarding such scholarships are formulated by the Department of Athletics.



A Perkins Loan is a federally funded loan administered by UNH and is available to undergraduate students who file on-time and demonstrate exceptional need. The interest rate on a Perkins Loan is fixed at 5%. Interest does not accrue while the student is enrolled at least half time. Repayment begins nine months after a student graduates, leaves school, or drops below (at least) half-time enrollment.


A Direct Loan is a federally funded loan available to both undergraduate and graduate students. For undergraduate students, this loan may be subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of both; for graduate students, only unsubsidized loans are available.  With a subsidized loan, which is awarded based on financial need, the federal government pays interest that accrues while you are in school. The unsubsidized loan is not based on need and interest that accrues while in school must either be paid monthly or deferred and capitalized (added to the original loan balance). Financial need is determined by the Financial Aid Office.

Loan funds are disbursed directly to the University of New Hampshire in equal amounts over each term of enrollment for the academic year. There is a 6-month grace period prior to repayment following graduation, withdrawal, or a drop below half-time status.

In order for first-time borrowers to receive Direct Loan funds, the online Federal Entrance Interview and Direct Loan Master Promissory Note must be completed.


Students who wish to use a portion of their Direct Loan eligibility, an Alternative Loan or a PLUS Loan to pay for Summer classes must complete a Summer Course Form through Blackboard (available mid-March) and submit it to the Financial Aid Office. Please note: Using Direct Loan funds for the summer will impact your academic year (Fall and Spring) Financial Aid.

For additional information on these Federal student loans, see The Student Guide.


The Federal Work-Study utilizes federal funds to provide employment opportunities to both undergraduate and graduate students who file on-time and demonstrate financial need.

Work-Study earnings are not credited to the tuition bill; they are paid directly to the student for hours worked. Paychecks are issued on a bi-weekly basis according to the Work Study Payroll Schedule.

Job openings are posted on Wildcat Careers. Eligible students may contact the job supervisor directly and interview for such positions on their own. An award of Federal Work Study is not a guarantee of a job. These positions are competitive and it is up to the student to be pro-active in pursuing employment.


Undergraduate and graduate students who wish to apply for the 2015 Summer Federal Work-Study Program should file their FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, 2015. Summer Work-Study Applications will be available on Blackboard after March 1, 2015.

UNH Title IV Code: 002589
Financial Aid Deadline: March 1